Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sewing . . .

      Okay, I've been sewing since Home-Ec class in high school.  We made an apron and a tote bag. That's all I remember.  The strange thing is - I didn't like sewing.  I even used to work at "Northwest Fabrics" when it was out on 29th St. in Wyoming.  I loved looking at the fabric, feeling it, and helping customers pick out colors, yet I still didn't really like sewing.  I would make our children shorts in the summer, and our daughter cute summer dresses, but didn't really enjoy it.  
      Then I discovered quilts.  I made my first one when our son was a toddler.  It was a Log Cabin design from an Eleanor Burn's "Quilt in a Day" book.  I was hooked!  I've decided that quilting and sewing are two different animals.  I don't "sew".  :)
     My mom has moved to California to live with my brother and his wife who is a wonderful nurse.  Mom used to make wonderful, old-fashioned, sometimes primitive-looking dolls that were designed by Gail Wilson.  I love, love, love these dolls!  For every birthday and Christmas mom made me one of the dolls.  When she moved there were still lots of doll patterns and kits to be made yet.  She can't do them anymore.  I still want, want, want them.  But I don't want to make, make, make them!  
     Mom could delicately paint the faces on these dolls.  Articulate the fingers, make noses, and create the hair with mohair fiber.  I've been staring at the box of these patterns and kits for a month.  I have no idea how to even start the process of making these dolls.  I know that if I want the completed doll to set on a shelf that I'm going to have to make them.  The kits come with beautiful photos of each doll that Gail Wilson designed.  Hmmm, maybe I'll just hang the photos on a wall!
     Back to my quilting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment